More Studio Furnishings

I've received an order for a free-standing, movable wall, which will serve as a visual study area or easel. Consulting with the artist, Sara Cothren, she's shown me photos of studio furnishings Robert Motherwell used. From these I've developed sketches to construct something similar with commonly used lumber purchased from an old established local yard.

Free_standing wall 8 x 12 foot

Free_standing wall 8 x 12 foot frame drawing f

Free_standing wall 8 x 12 foot frame drawing g

Free_standing wall 8 x 12 foot frame drawing behind

In sharing what my project was and showing them my preliminary sketch it was put to me (by the guys at Rush's Lumber in Pueblo, Colorado) rather teasingly that using a two-dimensional figure in it for scale was misleading: "How tall is he?" One even pulled out his tape measure. I was hesitant to go into a long-winded explanation about where I got the whole program for these sketches, but merely repeated, "It's just a sketch!".

It is their 100 year anniversary this year of being in business as a family run lumber yard, and it's always nice to go to them first over the big box stores. They know me by my first name, and I know all of them by theirs as well. I've been meaning to ask them what happened the year of the Flood of 1921, which over-ran it's highest level by 19 feet that year. That, and how they recovered stands to be one interesting story.
Continuing installments will document my progress on this project, and I might just assemble a small set of plans that can be had for a nominal fee.

Comments

Popular Posts